Wellingborough - 01933 222872
Milton Keynes - 01908 377577
Bedford - 01234 217833
Corby - 01536 402302

You will need to provide us with:

  • Your driving licence
  • The code provided from the DVLA for your online licence information - https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
  • 2 x Forms of ID. Utility bill / Bank statement confirming your current address (needs to be a local address) and driving licence address. (Must be within 60 days of rental date). One ID must contain a photograph if your licence does not contain one.
  • A credit card to pay for your hire
  • Any additional drivers will need to produce the same documents and information as the principle renter.
  • If moving we require your forwarding address.
  • View this link for more information about sharing your licence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P6tiLbhA2M 
  •     Must have held a full UK driving licence for at least 2 years.
  •     Licence must be free from any convictions/endorsements.
  •     Must have an accident free record.
  •     Basic Accidental Damage excess is increased by £400.
  •     Vehicle groups covered, up to C20, and up to V10 only
  •     There is an additional daily charge of  100% increase in the insurance premium.
  •     Must have held a full driving licence for at least 12 months.
  •     Basic Accidental Damage excess applies.
  •     Hirers/drivers must be aged 25 or over.
  •     Must have the D1 Category on driving licence
  •     Must have held a full licence for at least 2 years.

Category B

Cars, 4x4’s, light commercial vehicle up to and including Luton box van (maximum weight 3.500kgs) and MPV’s with no more than 8 passenger seats.

Category C1

Commercial vehicle up to an including a 7.5 tonne truck (maximum weight 7.500kgs)

Category D1

Minibus - maximum of 16 passenger seat.

Category E

This will be added to another category and permits towing e.g. B+E

It can depend on why your endorsements were issued but we do accept licences with minor penalty points. It is at the discretion of our insurance provider and they take into consideration the last 5 years.

Yes, but you must provide your Drivers Licence showing your entitlement (an International Driving Licence is preferred) and two forms of documentation showing your temporary address whilst staying in the UK.

You can have as many additional drivers that you require. There is a charge for each additional driver, and these charges are applied on a daily basis. Each category of vehicle has slightly different rates and these rates start from £5.06 + VAT a day.

Collision Damage Waiver - Is your standard vehicle insurance protection with an excess that can be reduced with excess protection

Yes, a vehicle can be hired long or short term, speak with your local Long Marsh branch to arrange a quotation.

All vehicles are provided with a full tank of fuel. It is your responsibility upon returning the vehicle to ensure the tank is full of the correct fuel. Otherwise we will fill the tank up to full and charge accordingly. Please note this cost is greater than standard forecourt prices. We do not store fuel on our premises.

Delivery and collection is only available to our corporate customers and this carries an additional cost. 

You can hire a vehicle for any period of time, but we charge a minimum of a 24 hour rate, unless otherwise stated by a rental manager.

Minimum notice period of cancellation is 24 hours on all online bookings; a rental charge will apply for all cancellations inside of the 24 hours.

You can, but we MUST know if you are planning on taking any vehicle outside of the UK.  We will need to provide documentation permitting you to take our vehicle and if you fail to state that the vehicle is going abroad and you do not have the correct documentation you will run the risk of having the vehicle impounded and any goods in that vehicle.ALL of these charges will be your responsibility and NOT of Longmarsh. Our vehicles ARE NOT INSURED for foreign travel by the insurance company without the correct documentation.

We do not stock child car seats/booster seats. For safety reasons we would rather people provide their own.

For all complaints please contact the Manager of your local branch, All addresses can be found on our contact page.